History of the organization

Coverdale was founded in 1923 as the Inter-Provincial Home for Young Women by the Anglican, United Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist churches. Located across the river from Moncton in Riverview, NB, on Coverdale Road, it served as a minimum security prison for girls 16 years of age and older who were sentenced to terms of less than three years.

Educational and rehabilitative programs were provided to women. At the time, the only other facility for women was the prison in Kingston,Ontario. The establishment of Coverdale made it possible for women to receive services in a minimum-security facility closer to their homes. For many years the Home was a pioneering venture in working with women in the justice system. Eventually, with the rise of provincial correctional facilities, and the withdrawal of government support, it was no longer possible to continue the work of the Home.

In keeping with the thinking of the day, Coverdale changed from an institutional-based to a community-based service focusing on intervention and prevention. Now Coverdale plays a pivotal role in the development and implementation of innovative support programs for woman.

A volunteer Board of Directors, who lend their expertise and time to help Coverdale live its mission and achieve it goals, governs Coverdale. The Board is made up of representatives from the community, the Justice Department and the churches.

WE'VE MOVED
Please Note Our
New Address

Share This Page

FacebookMySpaceTwitterDiggDeliciousStumbleuponGoogle BookmarksRedditNewsvineTechnoratiLinkedinRSS FeedPinterest

Upcoming Events

No events
facebookbutton